Monday 17 October 2016

WHEN PERSISTENCE MET RESISITANCE

So I was going to work, the other day. One of the beauties of the public transportation system in Nigeria, as against driving on your own, is that you always have a new experience. Could be the stranger beside you, or the driver of the bus, or the bus conductor, you just never know what to expect. So I boarded the bus from Leventis (Maryland) to Opebi Allen, to work. Normally, it would cost about a hundred naira to get me to work, but I assumed the bus conductor would charge fifty naira, since my stop was only half the journey to Allen. Typically, I get away with paying fifty naira with the "puppy look" (y'all know that look that makes you surrender to the pleadings of the other party sha, lol). But this time, I no know say na mad people I dey deal with. Halfway into the journey, when I was requested to pay my fare, I gave the conductor fifty naira o, and I insisted that it was the only amount from me (big lie from the pit of hell). Omo, the guy threw the money at me o, and actually said I was mad, because at my pick up point, he actually said the right fare amount, but as typical naija sharp babe, I turn deaf o. The bus conductor and the driver kept ranting, but I turned deaf areas. No way was I going to part with an extra fifty naira, it made no sense to me.Already, tension was brewing in the bus. The other passengers on the bus kept pressing me to budge, but lai lai, I no gree o. I kept pressing on, hell bent on sticking to my guns. We got to my stop, and I made moves to come down, again handing him the money. He said I wasn't serious, and pushed me back to the bus. To be honest, I was tempted to give him the money at the stop, but the moment he bypassed it, I kept the extra fifty naira in my pocket. I wasn't looking at the time at the time anymore, but at that time, I cared less if I was late or not. I mean, these guys just woke up the dragon in me. Na so these yeye pple carry me, pass junction, pass salvation, dem come pity me, drop me for Chicken Republic, by the link road (you can imagine the distance from my original stop). Na so I jump out o, amidst cries of " where is your money, dis lady come back pay your money". I jumped down and didn't look back. To these guys, they were successful in ruining my day, but in reality, they got served. Dem no know say na cele dem carry for bus. Na so I waka o, from Opebi link road, to my office in COSON (about 20 mins from where I was stopped). I fumed all through, because I didn't plan the journey, and didn't want to go to work all sweaty. But inwards, I was happy I didn't budge. Not only did I get a little cardio, I ended up paying nothing.(sharp girl, lol). OK, so not the best of illustrations to buttress my core idea and my headline, but point is not to give up, in any given situation, especially when it's a sales call. Your persistence should match your client's resistance, because boy!, they will resist. Have that at the back of your mind and push, and push, till they budge, and trust me, you will be better off for it. That,s how successful sales execs, business men and entrepreneurs are made. Nuff said. Bye

2 comments:

  1. Courageous move, but am sure you wont try that in the nearest future, because for say you jam those ones wey don take their earlier morning dose... henhhhh...


    ReplyDelete
  2. Lolz...on a lighter note. Good point though

    ReplyDelete